Monday, 28 December 2015

Holiday Reading

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Can you believe it ?! Christmas has passed us and New Years is on its way! Were heading out to the mountains for New Years and I'm really looking forward to it . I love the idea of a new year and new possibilities for adventures to come after we've spent a hectic month rushing to make sure we have all the odds and ends to create a great Christmas experience for our children. So, while I'm away relaxing and recovering from Christmas and THE FLU! Ugh.. we were hit hard , all four of us, just before Christmas and managed to spend the last week trying to recover and not infect those we came near.. So, while I'm away relaxing and recovering, I'll be doing some major reading..

Just before summer, I joined a group of women who were interested in creating a book club. We've read a few books now and I thought I'd give you a round up of them and share my thoughts. The books we've chosen have been good and bad and REALLY bad. For the most part, we've enjoyed our picks and are at the very least , loving the monthly meeting to gather , eat, drink and discuss for a couple hours sans children. It's a bit of a reminder that we are intelligent individuals with opinions that don't have to relate to childminding, parenting, being a partner in a relationship or housework. It's fun to open up that part of your brain that's been sleepy for awhile (if you're me!) and let the discussions happen amongst girlfriends.

below is a list of the books we've read and my thoughts on them..



1. Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey - We haven't read this one yet but it looks like it will be a hit. (January's book club selection).

2. All the Light We Can Not See by  Anthony Doerr   - This is our December book club selection and I'm 1/4 way into it and it's incredible! I'll post my review after January 10. 

3. Wild by Cheryl Strayed - an OUTSTANDING book. I couldn't put this one down. This was a summer read for us and I literally yelled out on the beach when things took a turn for the worst on Cheryl's humongous hike. It was a page turner, full of anticipation and adventure and I needed it to keep going! We ended up doing a movie screening after we read it and the movie for me was just as good. I will be watching it again soon! However, it did not make me want to throw a pack on and hike the nearest trail. 




4. The Girl On The Train - Paula Hawkins . Yeah.. about this book. It was our first read in the club and my pick. It was okay.. I didn't not like but I didn't love it. It's a bit sickening in places when its touching on mental abuse and alcohol addiction but you do want to find out whats going to happen in the end. However, the people in it are just so sad and pathetic you want to set it down and go read children's books for awhile to get back to a happy place.


5. The Maze Runner by James Dashner. Good book. Once you're finished it, you are pretty well forced to read the second to see whats going to happen next. The read was fast and I like that. You can really visualise the maze in your head and get caught up in the book. Fun book. I've yet to read the second in the series , though.

6. Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee. I didn't like this book. I gave it a decent shot but the writing is so laborious that I had to give it up. Maybe had I refreshed my memory on the history of the characters from To Kill A Mockingbird and that storyline then I could have given this book another go. But slow writing is not my cup of tea.. hence why I could never get through Maeve Binchy books. 

SO if that's not enough reading for you.. I've also got my bathtub reading ..
Recommended to me by my beautiful friend Michelle owner/operator and flower aficionado at



This bible is extremely motivational for anyone who is setting out on their own and creating a business for themselves . I'M LOVING IT. It's a fast read but read it slow. You need to immerse yourself in what she says to get the full effect and take what you need from it.. which is pretty well everything. It's not a secret anymore that I'm working on opening up my own nail studio in my house but it's taking some time and some organising of different elements. #Girlboss , though, is giving me the motivation to take the steps in this adventure seriously and thoughtfully. It helps that it's hilarious and teaches you how not to be an asshole in the workforce. BAH! What are you waiting for, go out and get it.

OK. That's enough for today. I have a crying child to deal with and a mound of laundry to fold, clothes to pack for our week in the mountains at grandpa's, dog hair to sweep and pyjamas to think about getting out of.

[only three of those things are probably going to happen.. ]






No comments :

Post a Comment