Friday, 3 May 2013

Reassessment

These days, I feel like a woman on a mission. I don't know what's going on with me but I feel like I have been given a hypothetical kick in the ass to sort stuff out.

My husband and I have been reassessing our spending and budget in an effort to rid us of any debt load. We are committed to this and it means a few changes in our lives and alterations in our thinking.
Now, as far as things go, we do pretty well. We live pretty comfortably and still manage to get in a mini vacay here and there. But, after looking at where our money is going {or not going - for that matter}, i've decided to not include saving up for an iPad in my 29 by 29 list. Nor have I decided to hit up Starbucks multiple times in a week. Those mini dates with Ellis and Charlie were easily eating up $30 a week, I'm sure. Shh , don't tell my husband.

On top of this, I've become less dependant on my massive truck to get around our wee town and instead, have opted for a more old fashion mode.. walking!! I'm definately noticing a difference in the waist region since I have started to walk more. Which will be a bonus for me since I'm determined to kick this extra 50lbs of baby weight off { yes, you heard right.. 50lbs! i have 50lbs to lose...50lbs! 50lbs!! whatevs, its just 50lbs!} and look stellar for a wonderful wedding we are attending this summer out in Ontario. I have a dress I'm dying to wear and gosh darn't, I'm going to this summer!!

As well as cutting out starbucks, walking more, not saving up for items we don't need {yet}, I have become an informed consumer. It really bothers me when I run out of formula for my son and have to fork over $20-$30 for a 900g brand name canister of baby formula that lasts me one and a half weeks only to see a canister sitting beside  it of the store brand version at half the price. So, I have become informed and learned that name brand { ie. Similac and Enfamil } formula is no more nutricious than store brand {ie. Presidents Choice} formula. I don't want to pay for these name brand company's marketing and research, free samples they give out to medical doctors to endorse their product . All hail the generic brand formula!! and all hail me and my $15 i saved today when i bought PC's formula !!

In Canada , there is an act that requires all companies distributing and manufacturing infant formula to follow the Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) for Infant Formula. All formulas must contain, at the very least, the minimum amount of nutritional supplements and not exceed the maximum amount of nutrient standards that an infant requires. The manufacturers must comply with the compositional requirements as set out in the FDR for infant formulas.  The only real difference is the recipe and some of the ratios of ingredients. If you are interested in learning more of what's in your baby's infant formula, click on this wikipedia link that will go into it a little deeper.

So, hopefully, you've taken the time to read this blog post, become slightly more informed or made aware of different options out there and enjoyed the rest of my blog {{or at the very least , learned how to save yourself a few dollars!!}}.. we appreciate your time!!




No comments :

Post a Comment